The Author: Latvijas Avīze / Veselības centrs 4
Dermatologist is a physician, who specialises in the diagnostics, therapy and prevention of a wide range of skin, hair, nail and mucous membrane diseases. Dermatologist also performs the diagnostics, therapy and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.
Dermatology has several sub-disciplines and the largest of them is aesthetic dermatology. The solution of aesthetic problems (cuperosis, wrinkles, hirsutism, pigmentation disorders, etc.) is associated with the injection of botulin toxin, fillers, as well as the use of various modern technologies (laser, radiofrequency, intensively pulsating lighting devices, etc.).
Upon the receiving of the certificate of a dermatologist, the physicians often specialise in cosmetology. Cosmetology can be considered a sub-discipline of dermatology.
Dermatologists use several methods to determine precise diagnosis:
- Optical dermatoscopy;
- Skin ultrasound examination;
- Digital dermoscopy with Mole-Max;
- Digital dermoscopy with FotoFinder, etc.
Five alarm signals that point to the need of visiting a dermatologist
- If previously healthy skin develops redness, the skin starts scaling. (These changes do not refer to a particular age of a person, skin of a person of any age gives similar signals).
- The skin does not ache, it itches. Itching is a symptom of a large number of skin diseases. Therefore, even in the event of an insignificant itching, it is worth consulting a dermatologist. This can simply be a sign of a dry skin, however not only that – scabies and other serious diseases are accompanied by itching.
- If skin lesions (moles) start changing their shape, colour, size.
- Discharge from genitals appears after an intercourse, an unpleasant - itchy sensation occurs.
- If the nails change their colour and shape, it can be a sign of a fungal disease. If not promptly treated, it can spread to other parts of the body. The fungus will not disappear itself and it is highly contagious.
National Health Service (NHS), insurance company and paid services are available.