The Author: Latvijas Avīze / Veselības centrs 4
Mammographist deals with diagnosing and treating benign and malignant breast diseases.
A consultation involves accurate inspection of the breasts (examination of the changes of the shape, contour and skin of the breasts and nipples, palpation of formations), identifying a patient's complaints regarding her breasts and gathering family oncological history. The physician checks the previous breast examination results and establishes a diagnosis based on that.
The five most clear red flags for visiting a mammographist:
- Formations inside a breast or an armpit;
- Breast indentations and dents;
- Changes of the nipple: retraction, a wound that is not healing, rash, bloody discharge
- Unclear or suspicious formation in breast scans (mammogram, ultrasonogram etc.);
- Purulent breast inflammation.