The Author: Latvijas Avīze / Veselības centrs 4
Pneumonologist is a physician who specialises in diagnostics, treatment and prevention of respiratory tract diseases. The most common diseases treated by a pneumologist are: lower respiratory tract infections (bronchitis, pneumonia), bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), tuberculosis, rare pulmonary diseases (sarcoidosis, fibrosing alveolitis, etc.), pleura diseases (pleuritis of different origin).
The pneumonologists will help to diagnose lung cancer, metastases of oncological diseases in lungs, haematological and rheumatological diseases with lung damage.
Red flags for visiting a pneumonologist:
- Cough for three weeks or longer;
- Blood in sputum;
- Shortness of breath on exertion;
- Rapidly progressing shortness of breath or sudden shortness of breath with wheezing;
- Chest pain; Especially if accompanied by other symptoms (shortness of breath, cough, etc.);
- Prolonged fever, weight loss and sweating.