Trichology or hair treatment
The Author: Latvijas Avīze / Veselības centrs 4
A trichologist deals with diagnostics of the hair and scalp diseases, prepares a treatment plan for hair loss, excessive hair growth and scalp skin problems, and provides specific treatment.
Treatment success is possible only through a comprehensive approach to the problem, from precise diagnostics, adequate treatment to active follow-up.
Red flags for visiting a trichologist:
- Increased hair loss within a short period of time (up to two weeks); the total hair loss is noticeable.
- If hair loss doesn't stop and continues for more than three months.
- If the hair falls out in patches and there are irregular areas with no hair or with broken hair on the head.
- If you have intense itch of the head, crusts or signs of inflammation and discomfort.
- If the hair becomes thinner irreversibly over a period of several years and you have bold family members.
The most common causes of hair loss
- Androgenetic alopecia or so-called male baldness. Women can have it too.
- Diffuse hair loss most commonly caused by acute or chronic diseases, different deficits and reactions to drugs.
- Up to 1,7% of people experience patchy hair loss (alopecia areata), that can manifest both as a few small hairless areas or large merged hairless areas.
Nowadays, several innovative pharmaceutical hair treatment methods are available, for example:
- plasma injections into the skin (platelet rich fibrin or PRF);
- laser procedures for hair loss;
- mesotherapy procedures;
- mesenchymal stem cell therapy, etc.